Skip to main content

John Tyson Part 2 - Heading-banging blacksmith, mishaps and controversy aplenty

We continue our tale of John Tyson, following his adventures throughout Myrniong and Bacchus Marsh in the late 1800s.

Whilst assisting some workmen in July 1868 to pull down the old blacksmith’s workshop to make way for a new one, John Tyson met with a rather nasty accident. As he passed under a beam, it fell on him, injuring his shoulder, fracturing a bone in his hand and, more seriously, cutting his head badly in a few places resulting in him narrowly escaping death. As fortune would have it, Dr William Bone was close by at the time and promptly attended to the patient. The newspapers were pleased to report on their “respected neighbour” John Tyson as being “out of danger and progressing favourably”.

Dr Bone first arrived at Bacchus Marsh in September 1865 and lived at Parkside Cottage, Stamford Hill, where he also conducted his medical practice. He and his wife quickly became respected members of the community. However, 1867 brought controversy which hit the national papers and the entire colony was gripped with the scandal and innuendo taking centre stage for the good Doctor and one of his patients.

The patient’s husband, Rev. J. C. Sabine, minister for the Church of England at Bacchus Marsh alleged Dr Bone acted inappropriately while medically examining his wife, resulting in court action in front of a Judge and Jury of the Melbourne Supreme Court. The judge admonishes Dr Bone for comparing Mrs Sabine to Potiphar’s Wife (refer to the story of Joseph, Book of Genesis, where he has lots of sons, a fabulous coat and dreams to share). 

The judge directed the jury that, should they consider Dr Bone guilty, they should award him the heaviest damages to be seen to punish and discourage. However, the trial resulted in a victory for Dr Bone, with the judge declaring certain members of the community used scuttlebutt and gossip to undermine a worthy citizen’s good reputation...

Dr Bone left Bacchus Marsh due to ill health (operations for multiple cancers) in mid-1869, selling all of his furniture and goods. However, once his health improved, he relocated to Castlemaine by the end of that year, where he conducted his regular medical practice as well as three government positions as Medical Officer. One of these included the Castlemaine gaol where he attended the execution of Ah Pew, the child murderer who was executed in May 1870.

Another injury came John Tyson’s way in July 1874 when his pony stopped suddenly, then took off again causing Mr Tyson to fall off, sustaining a partial dislocation and fracture of his right shoulder. Sympathies from the locals were extended to him, with wishes of a quick recovery from this serious, yet simple, accident.

A couple of months after John’s pony mishap, he advertised his blacksmith’s shop and adjoining resident to be let by tender. With the connections Tyson had established over the years in the district, as well as his well-stocked and lucrative business, this opportunity was pitched as “a good opening for a steady man”. Mr C. Myers from Ballan presented himself as that steady man and took up the offer, commencing in the new year.

After just four months of trading since January 1875, “steady” turned to “unstable” and Mr Myers departed John's blacksmith shop in Myrniong, mainly due to the reduction in business. As a result, John decided to take back the forge, much to the delight of the many existing customers of the area. Hugh Meikle, having recently completed his Blacksmith apprenticeship, was employed as his assistant. Hugh’s reputation as the “foremost blacksmith in town” was well earned after taking over one of Tyson’s former employers – Vere Quaille’s blacksmith forge and shop in Bacchus Marsh.

John Tyson continued trading in the forge until October 1882 when he again leased the business after taking up the tenancy of The Plough hotel.

NEXT WEEK: we meet a horse named Midnight


Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Ryan, 1866

Here we are in September 1866 Mr Thomas Ryan, 35 years old and the current licensee of The Plough Inn Hotel since 1865. He married his bride, Mary Meehan, 4 years later. They purchased Mr Burke’s store, hotel (The Plough Inn Hotel) and adjoining land. Two years later, the Ryan’s first child was born – Michael. Sadly, Michael passed away in October of that same year, aged nine months. In early 1872, the Ryans welcomed another child to their family – Thomas Jnr (more on Junior next week...) Thomas Ryan (Senior) was considered an “old resident” of Myrniong, but not in the chronological sense! He was a fundamental contributor to the establishment of this new and thriving township. He became a Justice of the Peace in 1868 after much contention due to his Irish hereditary and all that this implied politically. He participated in Coroner Inquests for the region, was a member of the Bacchus Marsh and Maddingley Roads Board (a pre-cursor to the local Council), member of the Myrniong Mechanics I

The Dore sisters saga - Part 3

Last week, our focus shifted to Mary Dore, the second of the Dore sisters, who entered into matrimony with Peter McCluskey, an early Myrniong farmer loaded with idiosyncrasies. In this week’s narrative, we delve further into the accounts of history. Peter McCluskey resettled on his farm at Rosehill, Myrniong, dedicating his efforts to raising shorn ewes and lambs for market. Alongside him stood his brother-in-law, William Dunbar Snr. Peter sold his fenced and improved acreage in the celebrated Pentland Hills, advertised as a parcel of land renowned as the “finest agricultural expanse in the colony”. Yet, the tides of fate took a sudden turn in March 1881, as Peter McCluskey faced the grievous charge of Bigamy—a transgression both unforgivable and typically avoidable, entailing the simultaneous marriage to two individuals. He was arrested by the Bacchus Marsh AND Myrniong police, securing his bail release with a sum totaling £300 along with a further two sureties amounting to £100 each.

"Show Exhibits worthy of anywhere in the Colony" 1884

The earliest exhibition showcasing dairy produce, livestock, and farm products emerged in the 1870s. These events took place annually, with locations alternating between Ballan and Bacchus Marsh.  However, due to strong opposition, the committee decided to relocate the show midway to Myrniong, which significantly increased patronage and attendance over the years. Myrniong eventually became the permanent home for the society's annual exhibitions. These events attracted high-class showmen, including leading draught-horse exhibitors from Melbourne and Ballarat. One memorable incident involved some chaos among dairy cows due to inadequate pens, resulting in them rushing and butting each other, not an uncommon sight at any B&S Ball! The Plough Hotel always reaped benefits from the local Myrniong Show by providing on-site catering or hosting post-show gatherings. On one occasion, approximately 40 men enjoyed an excellent dinner at Thomas Ryan's Plough Hotel after the show, with