Skip to main content

John Tyson Part 3 – Meet Midnight

Today we continue the stories of John Tyson, a pioneer of our region and fascinating chap, and we ride back in time to appreciate the importance horses played in everyday life.

Alex Cameron, a young lad who worked for John Tyson for about six months around 1860, was heading home to Melton one Saturday night, riding “Midnight”, John’s horse. As Alex rode through the Box Forest to the top of Stamford Hill (west of Bacchus Marsh township), he was chased down by one of the three bushrangers camping in the forest. However, it wasn’t Alex they were after – it was the horse, who proved too fast to be caught.

Horse racing was a frequent pastime. John was a proud member of the Bacchus Marsh Cavalry. The Victorian Racing Club conducted a racing program for cavalry horses, with prize money of over £100. John won with his prized horse “Midnight”, a well-bred, jet-black beauty.

Weekly horse races were conducted in early 1867 and the Annual Ballan jumps races were held on 30 March 1867. John, as always, entered his horse “Midnight” in two races, both of which failed to produce a win. Later in the meet, the winner of the fifth race, “Garibaldi” was auctioned off with John being the successful bidder at £20, 2/.

A few years later, Peter Grant, a farmer from Myrniong, went missing. Some of the residents from Ballan, Bacchus Marsh, and Myrniong turned out to see if they could find him. John Tyson was out looking for him on his horse Midnight, on the Eynesbury and Exford estates, when some kangaroos startled his horse, resulting in John being thrown out of his saddle and landing against a tree, hurting his spine. The horse ran off, leaving John to crawl over two miles to Ballarat Road. The evening coach was returning from Keilor Road railway station (now Sydenham). John gave out a “coo-ee” and the driver, Sam Crisp, with assistance from some passengers, lifted John onto the carriage and took him to the Border Inn Hotel at Bacchus Marsh. The doctor was summoned and John found himself bedridden for the next four months before finally being sent home to Myrniong. Peter Grant was finally found at Broadmeadows three weeks after he first disappeared. 

John passed away on 22 August 1887 after a long and painful condition known as "dropsy" (possibly the result of an underlying cause of congestive organ failure including heart, kidney or liver). The Plough Hotel licence was immediately transferred to Augustus William Lacey. John's wife, Elizabeth took over the operations of the Myrniong Hotel until she died in 1904.


Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Ryan, 1866

Here we are in September 1866 Mr Thomas Ryan, 35 years old and the current licensee of The Plough Inn Hotel since 1865. He married his bride, Mary Meehan, 4 years later. They purchased Mr Burke’s store, hotel (The Plough Inn Hotel) and adjoining land. Two years later, the Ryan’s first child was born – Michael. Sadly, Michael passed away in October of that same year, aged nine months. In early 1872, the Ryans welcomed another child to their family – Thomas Jnr (more on Junior next week...) Thomas Ryan (Senior) was considered an “old resident” of Myrniong, but not in the chronological sense! He was a fundamental contributor to the establishment of this new and thriving township. He became a Justice of the Peace in 1868 after much contention due to his Irish hereditary and all that this implied politically. He participated in Coroner Inquests for the region, was a member of the Bacchus Marsh and Maddingley Roads Board (a pre-cursor to the local Council), member of the Myrniong Mechanics I

The Dore sisters saga - Part 3

Last week, our focus shifted to Mary Dore, the second of the Dore sisters, who entered into matrimony with Peter McCluskey, an early Myrniong farmer loaded with idiosyncrasies. In this week’s narrative, we delve further into the accounts of history. Peter McCluskey resettled on his farm at Rosehill, Myrniong, dedicating his efforts to raising shorn ewes and lambs for market. Alongside him stood his brother-in-law, William Dunbar Snr. Peter sold his fenced and improved acreage in the celebrated Pentland Hills, advertised as a parcel of land renowned as the “finest agricultural expanse in the colony”. Yet, the tides of fate took a sudden turn in March 1881, as Peter McCluskey faced the grievous charge of Bigamy—a transgression both unforgivable and typically avoidable, entailing the simultaneous marriage to two individuals. He was arrested by the Bacchus Marsh AND Myrniong police, securing his bail release with a sum totaling £300 along with a further two sureties amounting to £100 each.

"Show Exhibits worthy of anywhere in the Colony" 1884

The earliest exhibition showcasing dairy produce, livestock, and farm products emerged in the 1870s. These events took place annually, with locations alternating between Ballan and Bacchus Marsh.  However, due to strong opposition, the committee decided to relocate the show midway to Myrniong, which significantly increased patronage and attendance over the years. Myrniong eventually became the permanent home for the society's annual exhibitions. These events attracted high-class showmen, including leading draught-horse exhibitors from Melbourne and Ballarat. One memorable incident involved some chaos among dairy cows due to inadequate pens, resulting in them rushing and butting each other, not an uncommon sight at any B&S Ball! The Plough Hotel always reaped benefits from the local Myrniong Show by providing on-site catering or hosting post-show gatherings. On one occasion, approximately 40 men enjoyed an excellent dinner at Thomas Ryan's Plough Hotel after the show, with